Google Pay (Formerly Tez) and PhonePe are the rulers in UPI (Unified Payment Interface), with each holding more than 40% stake in the Indian market. WhatsApp’s entrance in India’s digital payments field is predicted to promote adoption of UPI by both individual users as well as businesses. Because there is a separate WhatsApp application named “WhatsApp Business”.
Starting today, people across India will be able to send money through WhatsApp 💸 This secure payments experience makes transferring money just as easy as sending a message. pic.twitter.com/bM1hMEB7sb
— WhatsApp Inc. (@WhatsApp) November 6, 2020
Sajith Sivanandan, Managing Director and Business Head, Google Pay and Next Billion User Initiatives said that – “Digital payments in India is still in its infancy and any interventions at this point should be made to accelerate consumer choice and innovation. A choice-based and open model is key to drive this momentum. This announcement has come as a surprise and has implications for hundreds of millions of users who use UPI for their daily payments and could impact the further adoption of UPI and the end goal of financial inclusion“.
To start WhatsApp Pay on your phone, please follow these steps as mentioned below:
- First of all, make sure you’re using the same WhatsApp number that is already registered with your bank. If your mobile number is not linked with your bank account, you can not use WhatsApp Pay service.
- Open WhatsApp on your phone and tap on the three-dotted icon noticeable on the top right corner of your phone screen.
- Select the ‘Payments’ option if it’s showing then click on ‘Add payment method’ option.
- Now, it will show the list of banks on your phone.
- After you finish choosing your bank name, mobile number, which is connected with the bank account, will be validated.
- You have to select ‘Verify’ via SMS.
- Now you have to complete setting up payments.
- Set up UPI PIN as it is mandatory for carrying out transactions on WhatsApp similar to how it’s on other apps.
- And finally, now you can see the chosen bank on the WhatsApp payments page.